Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘dress pattern’

hanging6

Seriously, Jenny and I have a problem.  A simple Friday evening conversation over dinner about needing to go shopping for a dress to wear to a sunrise beach wedding on Monday (that Jenny needed to attend) turns into project runway in the sorella household.  Instead of shopping for a dress, we shopped for fabric on Friday at 7:30pm.  And instead of using the dress pattern we purchased, we decided it would be easier (ha!) to just drape, pin and cut the fabric into the dress we envisioned.  

After pouring a couple glasses of wine, we took out some breezy white stretch cotton gauze we had purchased a few weeks ago (for nightgowns, of course) and started draping.  After about an hour, here’s what we had in mind:

long looked too much like the bride's dress ...

long looked too much like the bride's dress ...

And thirty minutes later we had …

short is chic!

short is chic!

cut 3
Using this as our “pattern”, we layed each piece out on the gorgeous mallard blue cotton we had purchased and cut!  About two hours later we had …
pieced together at about 1am ... was taken the following morning after some coffee!

pieced together at about 1am ... pic was taken the following morning after some coffee!

The back was tricky, considering we decided to do a portrait neck line and neither of us had ever done one before!
after a bit of fiddling, we got it right!

after a bit of fiddling, we got it right!

At about 2pm (we started sewing again on Saturday around 9am), we had finished.  However, after some sit tests, Jenny decided that the white lining was not going to work after all.  So we then took about 90 minutes and ripped it out.  SO FUN … 🙂  We love our reverse sewers!  (aka seam ripper)  Here’s the final product, and Jenny loves it!  (and she looks gorgeous in it as well)  Next time we’ll include some darts, and probably some seaming at the waist line.  But for our first non-pattern grown up dress, I think it’s pretty good!
finished 1
finished 3
finished 6
the back of the dress

the back of the dress

easy sash!

easy sash!

ready for departure

ready for departure

I can’t wait to see the pics from the sunrise wedding tomorrow!
 
~ Jaime
 
 

Read Full Post »

finished skirt

Yesterday morning, Mike and I were up with the girls at 7am.  After I pulled a couple shots of espresso for some extra-hot lattes, Mike and I decided it was time to do the fall clean-out of the girls’ closets and dressers.  We usually do this ‘purge’ two or three times a year.  It feel especially important (and necessary) to do, because all of the girls will be attending school this year (in just one week!) and sorting through drawers and closets full of clothes that are either too small or out of season will likely delay the getting ready for school process.

So, THREE HOURS LATER we had pared their closets and dressers back significantly.  Erin and Meghan are sooooo tiny that at one point this morning Meghan was running around in her size 24M skirt (she’s 5) and I debated on whether or not to let her keep it or donate it.  (we wound up donating it – too short!)  As I was sorting through and deciding what to keep and what to donate, I realized that I was reluctant to give up many of the items that didn’t fit Erin and Meghan anymore because I loved the fabric so much.  That’s when I decided I would put Bernito to work!

size 3t dress

This particular dress was a gift from my cousin Samantha for Erin and Meghan’s third birthday.  We have two – one with pink flowers and one with purple.  Both are just absolutely adorable, but are just too short for their long legs.  After taking a long hard look at it, I realized if I just took the rotary cutter to the dress right above the velvet ribbons, we just might have a very cute skirt on our hands.

chalking the line

I had nothing to lose (because I was going to give it away anyway, right?) so I chalked a yellow line straight across the top of the dress where I’d want the waist of the skirt.  I broke out the rotary cutter and off it came.

I pinned it on Meghan to take it in just a bit, and decided to use the button on the back of the dress as a button on the top back of the skirt.  I mimicked the pleats on the front of the dress (now skirt) on the back in the places I took it in to fit Meghan.  I also left on the sash from the dress because it makes a cute bow on the back of the skirt.

pinning to fit

faking my way through a pleat

Last thing to do was to finish the raw edge on the top. Folded it over a couple of times, pressed, top stitched and voilà!  A new skirt for school.

the skirt!

the back

P1100585.TIF

P1100737.TIF

P1100730

Total cutting and sewing time – about 30 minutes.  Now I just need to figure out what to do with the pink dress …

~ Jaime

Read Full Post »