The fingerless glove obsession is spreading like fire – there are currently four requests in the queue! This particular pair was made for my sister Kristen, who works in a cold New York City Law Firm. She actual came down for a visit last weekend, but absentmindedly forgot to bring these back to NY with her – no doubt due to being a new Mom to this little meatball:
I mean, how can you not just want to spend your whole day kissing that sweet little face? Anyhow, the gloves are a modified version of Susie’s Reading Mitts:
I chose to leave off the lace repeat at the top of the glove and just have a simple scalloped edge:
- The wrist length was reduced to 4″ instead of 5″
- After moving the thumb stitches to waste yarn and rejoining the hand, knit all rounds until it hits the bottom of the fingers
- Knit the turning round for hem (yo, k2tog)
- Knit four more rounds of stockinette and BO all stitches
- The thumb is knit in all stockinette
They turned out pretty cute, in a Madonna-ish sort of way.
The only thing I don’t care for is the fact that the black yarn shows every little fuzz and piece of dust that it comes into contact with. Hopefully my sister has a little lint brush at her desk…
Here are the details:
- Pattern: Susie’s Reading Mitts by Janelle Masters (free pattern!)
- Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Black, less than 1 ball (which makes the cost of these less than $3.79!)
- Needles: US Size 4 dpns.
- Size made: Small
- Helpful Hint: Again, with this pattern, leave a generous tail when casting on and off to use to sew down the hem. Also, I used a smaller needle to get a snug fit.
I’ll use the gloves as collateral – she’ll need to bring that baby down for another visit and then she can have them… Have a great weekend!